Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wanna buy a sundial?

If you remember this line from a classic 90s Disney film, then I would have to say... Well...cool? This happens to be one of my favorite childhood movies of all time, I would say it was number 3 on my scale. Tonight I want to make a list, a personal list of the classic Disney movies I grew up with and a little bit about why they spoke so strongly to me.

Want to hear them? Well just keep reading my friend, if you don't, awe well, this is a personal blog, you don't have to stay here for anyone's benefit.

5.The Jungle Book
My number 5 on this short list is The Jungle Book. I remember days long past when I would put the rather large VHS Cassette into the VHS player and sat down on my bed and watched the story of Mowgli and Baloo unfold from start to finish. I loved King Louie's song "I wanna be like you", and the elephants. I related to Mowgli as he was being taken to the Man village though he would prefer to stay with the wolves. I have always known that things were going to change, and try as I might, they happened. I felt that I was moved from my family to another place at times. But hey, that sounds like growing up to me.
4.Fox and the Hound
The Fox and the Hound was a childhood favorite as it reminded me of my old friends growing up. I always pictured myself as Cooper, innocent, fun-loving and a bit clumsy, but afraid of a lifestyle I could be in as it would entail separating myself from my friends. In the end, I lost my friends as they left to live somewhere else.

3.Hercules
Now here's a movie I couldn't get enough of growing up. Born great, and became greater. Hercules was my inspiration, even causing tears to sting my eyes at Micheal Bolton's song "Going the Distance". Growing up, I felt out of place, as if I didn't belong there. I was awkward around people, reserved for the most part, and felt like a screw up, like each chance I had to have the spotlight I messed up somehow. But because of Hercules, I knew that one day, if I kept trying, I would reach where I was destined to be.
2.The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Another movie that spoke to my isolated life. For whatever reason, I started to talk down to myself, making my childhood depression worse. To me, Frolo in the movie was that voice talking down to me, telling me I was a monster compared to others, that I needed it to be safe. I was of course Quasimodo, locked up in my own bell tower with the very key to my lock in my back pocket. I was just too afraid the voice was right.
1.Tarzan
By far my favorite movie of all time. This timeless story echoes the same message the others did, about not fitting in and feeling like there was more to my life, except in this one, it mirrored my curiosity of what it was like to be apart of a new, and more exciting world. A world free of fear, of self doubt, and willing to accept any hand that reached out.

All these movies congregated to make me who I am today, and in due process, will help make me who I should be in the future. Because of the stories told in each movie, I became interested in mythology, classic books, new ideas. And they all in themselves developed my imagination, giving me the greatest joy I could ever know myself.

I thank you for taking the time to read this, I really do appreciate it. I hope your days and nights guide you well, as we continue on in this ever changing, ever wonderful world we live it.

-Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment